Promotion Code only for In Stock Items

We would like to offer a promotion code, however we would only like it to be applied if all the items in the basket are currently in stock. I can not see a way of doing this within the current system, is there a way?

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

I understand your request but I tried to add an item to the basket which is sold out but I was not able to do so. Could you please give me an example item which is out of stock and can be added to the basket? Then I will be able to investigate it and find an appropriate solution.

Regards,
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian

Thank you for your reply. We have pre-order items, such as 37-529B, which would not be allowed on the promotion, however an in stock item such as 38-552A is in stock and would allow the promotion. However if a customer ordered more than we had in stock of the 38-552A then the promotion would not be allowed.

If you need anything else please do let me know,

Regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

I found a solution for your request but I need to ask our dev team how we can increase your numbers of weblinxcustomtext fields cause you are already using all of them. I will get back to you on this asap. Please bear with me a bit longer.

Regards,
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian

Many thanks for the update, great news that you may have a solution.

Regards

Mark

Mark

at the moment web coupons effect the content of the basket. If an item gets into the basket (ie, you allow items not in stock to be added to the basket) then web coupons will effect all items in the basket. It would require some very fiddly dev work to get coupons to only work on in-stock items in the basket. Let us know if you need us to quote for this.

So the short version is: there is currently no way of applying coupons to only in-stock items in the basket.

James

Hi James

Thank you for the reply, we are sorry to hear that this is not available currently.

Many thanks

Mark

Hi James,

Not to step on toes or hijack this thread but what you’ve mentioned isn’t quite right (at least how I read it) as the coupon rules mechanism can override that default behaviour. i.e. if brand not equal to adidas - apply promotion. These rules are actually applied to each product individually, not the basket as a whole as far as I know.

A partial solution would therefore be to link the item quantity field into the coupon rule generator to allow us to create rules based on the quantity i.e. item quantity is greater than 0. With this we could allow/disallow redemptions based on stock levels.

The downside of course is that this method doesn’t stop over ordering when a customer happens to take stock from a positive into a negative. It will however stop the next person from being able to apply a discount on the same item since stock will now be sitting in negative and therefore fail the coupon rule configured.

Anyhow, just some food for thought.

Andy thanks for your input! You are quite right about the way web coupons work when they effect individual items in the basket. I read your comment and thought he’s right, that should be easy to implement. Of course nothing in software is never easy!

@markb I have now added product_stock to the rules engine for web coupons. This can be used to create rules for coupons. The limitations that Andy pointed out stand, if someone adds 2 widgets to their basket and only one is in stock, the web coupon will trigger. The next person to buy that item (that is now out of stock) will find that their web coupon will not trigger.

On a related note, rules need to be positive so in your case the rule will have to read:

product_stock > 0 then apply the coupon.

The opposite

product_stock< 1 then don’t apply the coupon

doesn’t work. This is on my list of things that I want to fix.

James

Hi James and Andy

Thank you for your input. I have tried this and it appears to work well, however it would be better if we could have a way of entering a rule where “Item Stock Level” is greater or equal to “Amount in Basket” in a similar way to “Item Department” is equal to “Spares”.

Not sure if this is something that could be done?

Regards
Mark

Hi James

I am having to revisit this again, would it be possible to have something like the above?

Also I notice that the Rule Configurator does not allow Item Customer Number to be used, this would be most helpful if it could.

In addition the product_stock does not appear in the Rule Configurator

Regards Mark