How to change or fix URLs

Hi,

I noticed that some of our URLs have full stops in them like this one for example, http://www.partyworld.ie/Hollywood-Theme-Red-Carpet./X14120/

As you can see there is a full stop after carpet. This was because someone on our end put in a full stop when entering the product information. I have since taken out the full stop but I am wondering how do I go about creating a new URL for this product.

Regards,
David

Hi David,

Thanks for your post. Actually, there are two ways of regenerating product URLs: change the structure of the URLs in your WebStore Manager and remove the product online and bring it back. The former is probably the cleaniest but the change will affect all your products although nothing stops you from bringing back the old URL format. On the other hand, the latter will only affect this particular product but has the side effect that the product won’t be available in your store for the duration of your update (which can be short of course). In this option, the new URL will be created during the synchronisation process and obviously the old URLs will be automatically redirected to the new URL (via an implicit 301).

As you can see, although each method has pros and cons, I would be inclined to recommend the second approach. Furthermore, there is actually an option in the SEO option of the WebStore Manager that normalizes URLs by removing any special characters that they may have. I can see that you have it enabled but as it turns out, it was originally designed to cater for URLs with HTML-encoded characters but I guess it should be extended to deal with cases like these.

Hope this helps.

Kindest regards,
Franclin

Hi Franclin

We tried turning the product off in pam and then back on to generate a new URL. This did not happen and the full stop is still at the end of the URL

Any Idea

Thanks
David

Hi David,

To take down an item from your store, please kindly follow these steps:

In your RMS Manager, under the Database menu, select Items and locate the item you want to remove from your store and double click on it.

Next, in the Options, untick the box beside “Item is available on the website”. You should now run NSc Sync. At this point, the item will no longer be available on your store. Go back to your RMS Manager and tick the same option and run NSc Sync, the item is now available on your store and the URL should be changed as it has been regenerated.

Hope this helps,
Franclin