Google Universal Analytics Integration

In an effort to provide your business with much more accurate visit statistics, we have recently released our Google Universal Analytics Integration. In many ways, it is an upgrade to the classic Analytics scheme and we strongly advise you to consider upgrading. This post will guide you through the necessary steps to get it running.

Before enabling this feature, please ensure that you have moved all your properties to the Universal Analytics. You can do so by the following this guideline: Centro de migración para desarrolladores  |  Google Developers
The obvious difference between the two methods is the number of cookies used by Google to track your users. Universal Analytics only make use of a single cookie (name _ga) to achieve that task.

The first thing you need to do is to enable it in your Webstore Manager and the option can be found under SEO as shown below:

Like with the classic Analytics, all you will need to do is to provide your Analytics ID and we will insert the necessary code in the header of your webpages.

We support all the features that were previously included in the classic Analytics such as ecommerce tracking, enhanced link attribution and visiors’ demographics tracking if you have enabled the support display advertising feature. We do not currently support custom dimensions and metrics.

This feature is currently only available in our Beta channel. As usual, we welcome any feedback, comments, and thoughts.

Hi,

I followed the instructions here and unticked “Enable Google Analytics integration” and ticked “Enable Google Universal Analytics Integration” on 23rd September (our Analytics profiles were already moved over). I have just realized that since that date my Adwords and Analytics have stopped passing info to each other and I am not getting the campaign statistics in analytics or the conversion data in adwords (when I previously was).

I see you also have a parameter called “Enable Google Adwords Conversion Tracking” but when I google for info on the fields you want for that (Conversion ID) its all about remarketing…

So I’m a bit confused - can you tell me what I’ve done wrong or if I have to tick this other option, where do I find the parameters (I found Conversion ID in the remarketing tag but not the others), or is something else wrong?

Thanks,
Emma

Hi @emma

Have you followed the steps detailed here Link/unlink Google Ads and Analytics - Analytics Help

Let us know your thoughts please.

Thanks
Franclin

Hi Franclin,

Yes our accounts are already linked in the way described in that post - I just double checked. Like I said, all was well until the day I followed these instructions here - then it stopped working.

Emma

Hi Franclin,

I reversed the changes I applied and now have Google Analytics integration ticked rather than Universal Analytics integration. All is now good and adwords conversion tracking is restored in Google Analytics. So for us there is a problem with the Universal Analytics upgrade.

Emma

Hi Emma,

Thanks for the feedback. I will double check the code and get back to you in due course.

Regards,
Franclin

Hi @franclin_foping,

Given that its been 3 years since trying this, I thought I’d have a go again! And again analytics and adwords have stopped talking to each other after I make the switch in WSM to universal analytics. All properties are universal and I checked that accounts are still linked - all looks in order. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? I think we really ought to be on UA now but we can’t lose this valuable insight.

Thanks,
Emma

Hi @emma

As far as I can see our UA integration is up and running at the moment as no one else seems to be having issues with it.

I will ask our SEO expert @tomasz_fortuniak to check it for you and let me know.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Franclin

Hi @emma

@tomasz_fortuniak just confirmed to me that there doesn’t seem to be an issue with other customers using Universal Analytics. So there must to something specific about your settings that makes this integration faulty.

He opened a ticket on your behalf to deal with this issue. He should be in touch with you shortly.

Hope this helps.

Kindest regards,
Franclin

Hi guys,

Wondering if there’s any particular reason why the current Universal Analytics integration doesn’t capture brand in the ecom reports?

Given the way brands are handled on the platform, I would have thought this to be quite an easy and rather vital field to map to GA?

cheers
Andy.

Hi Andy,

That’s a fair point, and should be quick.

@maciej.torbus, @franclin_foping: can we add this to the top of the backlog please?

We’ll let you know Andy.

Thanks,
Donogh

Thanks Donogh, that would be great.

Hi,

We’ve added this to the top of the backlog and will inform once it’s done.

Thanks,
Maciej

Hi @andy

We are currently looking at this issue. How do you want us to report your brand pages please?
At the moment, as far as I can see they’re being reported as pageviews like all the other pages on your WebStore.

For instance, on a brand page (ABSORB PLUS), here is the pixel data that is sent to Google:

https://www.google-analytics.com/collect?v=1&_v=j78&a=1894451587&t=pageview&_s=1&dl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mypetwarehouse.com.au%2Fabsorb-plus&ul=en-us&de=UTF-8&dt=ABSORB%20PLUS%20-%20My%20Pet%20Warehouse&sd=24-bit&sr=2560x1440&vp=2356x700&je=0&_utma=79418632.1415168207.1558963141.1558963146.1558963146.1&_utmz=79418632.1558963146.1.1.utmcsr%3D(direct)|utmccn%3D(direct)|utmcmd%3D(none)&_utmht=1566213766096&_u=ACCCiEABR~&jid=1681724691&gjid=849199899&cid=1415168207.1558963141&tid=UA-9771206-1&_gid=2079692637.1566213681&z=509808515

So those pages should be reported in your console.

Let us know your feedback please.

Kindest regards,
Franclin

@franclin_foping

Apologies for the delay.

My original query was in relation to the data which is missing, namely product category and product brand as there is no data available in any of our reports for these fields.

cheers.
Andy.

Hi @andy ,

Thanks for your response. Our current Universal Analytics does not provide that feature. There is actually a new enhanced e-commerce solution based on gtag.js which allows us to send additional product information.

It is already in our development queue and I will certainly get back to you once it is available.

Regards,
Franclin