Cookie Preferences

Marketing Cookies Popup

NitroSell has released a new configuration option allowing your customers to specifically give consent to marketing cookies. If consent is not given, third-party tracking plugins such as Google Analytics or Facebook Pixel will not work.

This is an update to the existing informational cookie popup. We recommend you switch to the updated popup by enabling this configuration option ‘Enable GDPR cookie consent popup’ and disabling the previous version DEPRECATED: Enable GDPR cookie warning popup (v1) .

These changes are mandatory for retailers in Ireland and align with European GDPR Standards; in other EU countries and in the UK this approach is recommended as opposed to required.

This feature is currently available on the alpha and beta branches.

How To Enable The Cookie Popup

1. Access your WebStore manager and go to ‘Settings’ > ‘All Config Options’ .

2. Using the search bar provided, enter the following: Enable GDPR cookie consent popup’ or Select ‘Customer’ out of the list of headings.

3. Set the checkbox for ‘Enable GDPR cookie consent popup’ to either enable or disable the cookie warning.

4. Use the drop down menu provided to specify a link where users can find more information such as ‘Learn More’ , ‘Terms & Conditions’ , or ‘Privacy Policy’.

1. Once you have enabled or disabled cookies, select ‘Save’ .

Note: If you disable the cookie popup, it will not be shown at all, and third party tracking plugins will always be enabled.

The Cookie Popup Window

• Users will now be presented with a popup window where they can accept or reject the use of marketing cookies.
  • Detailed information regarding the data each cookie tracks and its purpose will be clearly displayed by clicking on the ‘Learn more’ link. You can change the link via the configuration settings outlined in the above section ‘How to enable the cookie pop up’ .

Additional Information

To find out more about these regulations, visit the data protection office (DPO) website for your country.

IRL: Data Protection Commission

UK: Information Commissioner’s Office

GDPR: GDPR Standards

Thanks for enabling this feature. 2 queries below:

1. I was wondering if it will be possible to change the ‘reject’ button to ‘Configure’ and then provide the user with opt in options on what cookies they want to accept? Giving the user the opportunity to simply reject is far to easy to opt out. This recommendation is still completely legal & will greatly improve opt in rates, and in turn improve the understanding of user behaviour and therefor revenue for your clients.

2. Is it possible to have this cookie banner pop up in a way that the rest of the screen is dimmed out and not clickable? This makes the user focus on the cookie banner before progressing through to the site, again this will improve opt in rates as users are generally not worried re cookies & just want to complete the task they’ve come to the site to perform. Again this is completely legal & comes as a standard feature on the likes of OneTrust.

Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

This is definitely one of those situations where we won’t be able to please everyone. We deliberated at length before we finally arrived at this approach, and we did get feedback from a number of our ‘alpha’ version users before deployment.

While many sites choose to have ‘blocking’ popups that take over the screen, we opted for an approach that ensures customers are less likely to close the browser tab/window. At the same time, we believe users are in the habit of clicking Accept rather than Reject, and the placement of the button makes it easier to click that option.

In essence, we are prioritizing keeping the shopper on the site, rather than trying to maximize the number of people who accept analytics cookies. After all, the objective is to sell, which is more important than tracking.

Given that it meets the spirit and letter of the law and is the least obtrusive and simplest approach, we do not plan to change the default behaviour at this point. We would be happy to entertain customization of the feature if it’s important to you that it operates the way you describe.

Regards,
Donogh

Thanks for getting back Donogh,

Were you or your alpha sites able to test this? I ask because many of the leading ecommerce sites use the version I’ve proposed above.

The reason I’ve requested this is that we don’t rely on these cookies only for tracking user behaviour and to make informed decisions based on that, we also require this information to fuel our advertising algorithms to ensure we’re targeting the correct user and providing them with the best user experience possible. This in turn leads to not only increased users on the site but an increase in the quality of user on the site, resulting in better conversion rates & therefor sales.

Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

We looked at Amazon and lots of other large sites, and we chose the copy the approach taken on GitHub:

I do understand what the cookies are used for, but I’m not convinced you’re going to see a huge drop in data collection.

Anyway, as I said, we can customise it. Let me talk to the dev team and see what’s involved.

Regards,
Donogh

Hi again Robert,

We’re going to add another variation of this option to support your preferred approach.

It will take at least a few weeks because the dev team is working on a couple of large projects right now (subscriptions and automated order processing for RMS HQ).

It will allow you to select one of two variations – the current version and the version you have proposed.

The dev team will provide an update when it’s close to release, to get some final feedback.

Regards,
Donogh