Content toggle rather than a draft mode?

I’m not sure I fully understand the purpose of the draft mode on content pages. Wouldn’t a simple publish toggle have been a more effective solution to what you have done with the draft mode?

A toggle would allow customers to have content pages or blog articles prepared well in advance and ready to be enabled when needed. Seasonal or sale pages could also be re-enabled when needed without having to delete and recreate them at the end of each season.

I don’t know about other customers but I often need to edit a blog article half a dozen times before I’m happy with it and would prefer only the final result to be visible to customers - not my work in progress.

1 Like

Hi Andy,

Customers won’t see the page until you ‘make live’ (1). You can preview the page as many times as you like, returning to editing mode (continue editing (2)) until you get the desired result.

Regards,
Brendan

Thanks Brendan - now I understand. I guess I’ve been brain washed into always hitting the make changes live link as that was the only option for a long while.

Is there an option to return a page to draft mode once enabled? I can think of a few scenarios where you may want to disable a page without wanting to delete and re-create it each time - an email landing page for instance.

Cheers.

Hi Andy,

At the moment you can’t temporarily remove a page with the editor. I’ll have a look and see if this can be added.

Regards,
Brendan

Funny how muscle memory takes over sometimes!

That’s a good point. I suppose the thinking is that once a page is indexed it’s probably bad for it to suddenly disappear. Do we replace it with a hard 404? I can definitely see the case for ‘hidden’ pages.

Regards,
Donogh

A work around we have done in the past is to change the page type from one type (blog) to another type (tabbed) which removes it from the blog area. We don’t have our content pages pulling dynamically into a menu so it disappears until we change it back to a blog page. Won’t work for everyone but it was the only work around we could use.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. If you are using the pages in your menu, you could switch it to an Untabbed page instead.

1 Like

It’s worth noting that Brendan’s suggestion to not set pages as live does not appear to work with BLOG content. It just results in an empty page being displayed with none of the actual content being visible.

As suggested, no workaround or tactics would be required if there was a simple toggle to enable or disable pages.

Cheers.

Thanks again for the feedback Andy.

I’ve added this to our short-term dev queue for an update. Opened a ticket on the Portal on your behalf to track its progress (96207).

Kind regards,
Donogh

Hi Andy,

We’ve added an inactive mode now for pages.

You can change the status in the Action menu on the content page.

Regards,
Brendan

Looks like a great addition. Thanks!