Changing the Department Order in the Store Navigation Panel

By default, the departments and categories listed in your Store Navigation panel are sorted alphabetically. However, regardless of whether you are using RMS Navigation or NSc Web Navigation, you can customize the order in which your departments and categories are displayed.

To customize the order of departments, perform the following steps:

1. In NSc Sync Configuration, under Advanced, select Field Mappings.
  2. Right-click the Department table, then select Add Field, then Standard RMS Field.
  3. For Remote Field Name, specify department_sortorder. For Field Source, specify: code
  4. Click OK twice to close the pop-up windows. Resynchronize your database.
  5. In NSc PAM, Navigate to Tools > Navigation Structure Manager, double-click each department and enter integer values for the department codes, which will determine the sort order of your WebStore departments (in descending order, that is, higher-value codes will be displayed first). See Figure 1 below.
  6. To see the changes to your navigation, purge the contents of the Department table only. For more information, refer to Knowledge Base article #379.

To customize the order in which your categories appear, perform the following steps:

1. In NSc Sync Configuration, under Advanced, select Field Mappings.
  2. Right-click the Category table, then select Add Field, then Standard RMS Field.
  3. For Remote Field Name, specify category_code. For Field Source, specify: code
  4. Click OK twice to close the pop-up windows. Resynchronize your database.
  5. In NSc PAM, Navigate to Tools > Navigation Structure Manager, double-click each category and enter integer values (only 0-9 should be used) for the category codes , which will determine the sort order of your WebStore categories (in ascending order, that is, lower-value codes will be displayed first. ). See Figure 1 below.
  6. To see the changes to your navigation, purge the contents of the Category table only. For more information, refer to Knowledge Base article #379.

Figure 1.

The integer values used must be between 0-65535. Any higher values entered will default to 65535.
1 Like

Vito,
On the Department bar of our website, we have 2 that are duplicated in another spot on the site and we would like to remove from the Dept. bar.

1. would we do that in the Nav structure manager by deleting the dept?
  2. will that have any affect on the items that are in that dept?

Our site is Fit2Run.com and the 2 depts we would like to remove are: Club and Gift Cards.
Thanks,
Don

Hi Don,

You would have to reassign the items from the unwanted department and category to the correct department and category. Then delete the department and category if it’s no longer needed, purge NSc Sync’s cache and synchronize. If there are other items in the unwanted category then you would have to reassign those beforee you delete the department and category. Details on how to purge NSc Sync’s cache can be found below - How do I purge cache on Nsc Sync?

Let me know if you have any problems and I’d be more than happy to give an call and get the issue sorted for you.

Regards,
Vito

Hey Vito,
Would you be able to give me a call and walk me through how to make changes in how categories appear on the Department pages? I think I understand what to do, but 100% sure.
thanks,
Don

Hi Don,

Ill send you an email with some times we can meet.

Hope all is well!

Regards,
Vito